Sunday, November 28, 2010

pastor John

As you can see, I have asked my children to enter a blog post. Gus and Sami wanted to get it out of the way (so my personality), but Sarah wanted to wait for something "good", she has to do it by the end of 2010.... so be on the lookout for it!

Yesterday was a fun day. It started off going to the village church and listening to my husband preach. Yes, you heard me correctly, our pastor asked him to be the "guest speaker" so John talked about Ephesians 3 and the 4 things that Paul prayed for the believers in Ephesus. He was so good. He made a point to be cultural in his examples and he stressed the importance of our heart verses the external.



Yes, the above picture is John with the translator, Stephen. Stephen is getting married this Saturday, so we cannot wait for his wedding. More on him later.


These next few photos are of the trail past the church to our pastors "retirement" lot.


The pastors retire with whatever is given to them in one of their churches, during their time in the ministry. Our pastor still has one more term before retirement, but had never received any land. Our church gave him a plot and is helping him with his foundation. It is quite an interesting setup they have.


Take a look at the picture above. I know this looks like any other village hut that I may have shown you, but really look at it. Can you imagine living like this? Really, living like this?! I am blown away by the lifestyle of the village. To be honest, there is something that I am drawn to, and I am not sure what it is.... maybe it is the simplicity!


This Hausa carving is on the podium for the pastor at church. If I was a really good blogger, I would have gotten it translated before putting it on here, but I will someday know what this means. It looks like it is Habakkuk 2:20..... you can look it up.

Well, the day started off with John, but then it ended up with us decorating the house for Christmas. Very fun and very festive and it took about five minutes.... I will show you those pictures tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. John preaching? Oh boy! When you come back to north carolina, I'll be glad to let you fill my pulpit... now that you have experience! Just picking, of course. But it IS amazing how God is using all of you down there! I can't wait to see the difference He is making in your lives for myself. Keep up the great work! (Bobby)

    ReplyDelete