Thursday, November 11, 2010

adopting the moment

As I was mentioning this yesterday, the Lord has really been taking me back to the heart of this ministry. The reason why we are here doing what we are doing. It is not that I have truly forgotten, but sometimes an "emotional" jumpstart triggers a deeper understanding.

I was reading a new blog just a few days ago and this woman was writing about how she has adopted and the ups and downs of it. Here is an excerpt of what she wrote:

"and every single day, it is worth it. Because ADOPTION is God's heart. He sets the lonely in families. Adoption is the reason that I can come before God's throne and beg Him for mercy, because HE predestined me to be adopted as His child through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

My family, adopting these children, it is not optional. It is not my good deed for the day. It is not what I am doing to "help these poor kids out." I adopt because God commands me to care for the orphans and the widows in their distress. I adopt because to whom much has been given, much will be demanded. I adopt because whoever finds his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for HIS sake will find it.

Some days, my friends, it is not easy. Today, it is not easy. The HURT in my daughters' hearts is big and real and as their mother, I want to fix it and know that I CAN'T. So I lay it at the feet of my Father and rejoice to know that if we are children, then we are heirs - of God and co - heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in His sufferings - in order that we may also share in His glory. And I call out to the Holy Spirit knowing that He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for us.


Adoption is beautiful. Adoption is hard. Adoption is the Gospel of Christ and the promise of God's love and redemption lived out in our lives."

I know that was a long excerpt, but for me it was an important excerpt. Now, I am not telling everyone that you must go out and adopt, and I am not trying to trivialize anyone's adoption experience by what I am about to say.

Even though as a ministry we don't find a home and place a child type of adoption, we do adopt moments.

We adopt each time we have a child in front of us, anytime we do some action that will benefit the neglected or orphan child. We adopt when we travel hundreds of miles to laugh and sing and play with that specific child the Lord has chosen to bless us with, in front of us. So many people have chosen to "adopt in the moment." These pictures you see are just some examples, some who have made the decision.

John and I are continually adopting the moment because we believe the promises of God are real. We believe that we are living out those promises for the Fatherless. These photos to the left and right are examples of people who have made that choice alongside of us.

No, John and I have not physically adopted a child into our Guckenberger home. BUT, we adopt children daily into the Guckenberger hearts. It is by God's grace that He uses us to love children back to life and where we cannot and are not able it will be HIM who will do it. We can only stand in the gap for the moment, we can speak for these children when they don't have voices of their own. So daily, we trust, we cling to His promises and I, personally, believe HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment