Saturday, January 29, 2011

contentment vs. change

John and I have been talking a lot lately about the growth in the last two years.

The growth in us, the growth in the plants around our house and just the changes we have seen here in Jos. AND yet, when I look around, the village still looks the same. Not everywhere, mind you, but most places.

These photos are just some shots that were taken the first six months here, but they could have been taken yesterday. That is a strange reality for me.

It is strange because if it hasn't changed in the last two years, when has it changed? Is change necessary for growth? Is growth necessary? Maybe I am asking the wrong question, I don't know. Maybe change in a visual sense is a separate issue.

Maybe even though these photos haven't appeared to have marked any landscape changes, we can hope and pray that the lives of these individuals have changed. Maybe a growth so real that even if nothing changes (circumstances) ever, their walk is vibrant and alive and their maturity so deep that they have "learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want" Phil. 4:12.



Maybe because I have had the ability to change my circumstances when I have wanted, I haven't been forced to grow in this area. I have a feeling John and I are going to be getting a crash course in CONTENTMENT 101 (not that I am comparing the village life to our move). I also don't believe changing things is a reflection of our contentment level. It is just me considering things around me and applying it to my personal life. Maybe a bit of unveiling from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment