Thursday, April 15, 2010

fabric shopping

Yesterday morning, Emilee and I went downtown to the fabric section of the market. Which is kind of a joke since every little walkway and narrow passage consists of hundreds of little fabric shops.

It is not always easy to snap pictures while in the downtown area. The muslim shopkeepers don't appreciate it and some others are just a bit weary of batore (us white people) just randomly taking pictures. So I just asked two places that we visited if I could and they were super gracious and excited for me to snap their shop as long as I would print off a picture for them to have. So, I will do that.... But, OOhhhhh I wish I could have gotten pictures of the narrow aisles that this downtown is made up of. Sometimes when I am downtown in these markets, I still get that overwhelming feeling that I cannot believe I live in Africa and have to do this just to make a curtain...

The picture on the top is a man who I ended up purchasing some plain material from. As you can see, it is not easy to find fabric that doesn't have some sort of print on it. Plain is not the desirable fabric here, but you can find it if you search hard enough. The item I settled on is actually material used for men's pants. But, it is perfect for what I need....

The middle shot is Emilee inside this store and the bottom one is of the same store, just a different angle. Overall, it is tiring just to look for fabric but in the end it is nice to have the material and I did enjoy the fellowship of a friend (not a bad tradeoff) .... I will take the material tomorrow to the seamstress.... so many steps, this is when I like my conveniences..... Oh well, I hope maybe the next season in life will have some.....

No comments:

Post a Comment