Wednesday, October 20, 2010

the Word is living and active

The other day, Theresa, Will and I went to the Oasis Community Center. Theresa and I went up on the rocks and we each had our own quiet times.

As I was on top of the rocks, I saw some of the villagers drying corn on top of their rooftops. They do this so they can then grind it to make cornmeal. I thought it was kind of cool to see.

I think the thing that struck me the most about this day was that a lot of the Fulani children followed us up the rocks and were just kind of hanging out with us, holding our hands, going where we were going, etc... As Theresa and I separated to do our own thing, the kids all proceeded to follow her (no surprise, kids just know other people who LOVE kids, and Theresa LOVES kids). Anyway, as I started reading the Word out loud (Isaiah 43 and then I Peter, chapter One), some of the children finally found their way back to me.

The older boy, picked up my Bible, realizing what it was, put it down but got all of the kids to leave me. You see, the Fulani are Muslim and it would not be in good standing for these children to be hanging out with me, listening to the Bible being read. They all left me with the older boys persistence. Except for one little girl. She is the last photo on this blog.

I don't know what all transpired. I am not sure if the little boy was scattering everyone to get out of there for fear of getting in trouble from his parents. I don't know if he recognized my book as the Bible. I don't know if the little girl was aware of what I was reading out loud to her. But what I DO know is that for about ten minutes, this little girl did not leave my side. She heard the Word of God, that is Living and Active, being read to her soul. With a Holy Spirit that knows no language boundaries.....

I don't know what happened that afternoon, but I loved each and every moment of reading to her. I also loved that she heard the Word of God and it will not return void!! Amen and Amen. She is cute, isn't she? Please pray for more of these moments with her and pray that the Holy Spirit draws her in....

No comments:

Post a Comment