Sunday, November 1, 2009

presumption

I was looking through this booklet that someone gave to me this past week and it has this idea of presumption.  I want to share it with you because I have found it to be true of me, and I wonder if you would find it to be true of you, in some regard.

"Poverty and oppression in developing countries are met by a variety of presumptions.  Some who hear of the tragedy presume that the people have learned to live with the life they have always known, it's what they expect  (THIS IS WHERE I HAVE ALWAYS FALLEN SAD TO SAY).  Some when confronted with the suffering, turn away from the vastness of the problem and presume there is nothing they can do.  Both presumptions lead to inaction."  

This is so true of this nation.  The problem is so huge, more vast than my comprehension and it overwhelms me now that I am living here.  But, for John neither of these presumptions seem to be true of him.  I was learning about Nehemiah and how he was in a position of ease, power and safety.  He had a job and was doing it well.  But, he also heard about the remnant of Israel and how they were not doing well.  The Israelites had learned to withdraw and retreat when ridiculed about trying to rebuild the wall.  They were turning away because the problem seemed too big and there was nothing they could do.  Nehemiah left his good job and went to become a part of the solution.  He would not give in to either presumption.  He then motivated and worked alongside of the people to rebuild the wall, working with one hand and then defending with the other.  Do you think Nehemiah ever regretted his decision to leave his position of power for his position of serving?  I bet not.  I think John feels this enormous task yet wants to be a part of the solution.  One block at a time, trying to not give in to either of the ideas that poverty is a way of life nor there is nothing that can be done.  John wants to not see the enormity of the task as much as he wants to see the enormity of His God.  I am his wife, I know these things of him....

Psalm 74:21  "Do not let the oppressed retreat in disgrace; may the poor and needy praise your name."  

How cool that we, as a family, get to live here and be a part of living alongside a people who are learning, as we are, to praise the name of Jesus.  I am slowly adjusting my mindset to not give in to either presumption as well.  The problem is huge, but just because it is big doesn't mean these people are choosing it because they think it best and it is who they are.  No!  That is crazy, they have just been told that for decades.  It is also so big that I want to be a part of the solution, one person at a time.  Thank you for all of you who have also chosen that choice as well by your support of our family.  Thank you for also fighting off the presumption of the poor and oppressed.  I don't regret ever leaving the life we had known for this one, but I am realizing that my view of God has to change and it needs to become larger.  I know it will as He shows me bit by bit.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome that you see that in your husband. It actually brought a tear to my eye. Your love and belief in him shows in those words. I hope he had a chance to read this what an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete