Friday, June 3, 2011

pursuing Christ through pretense

I was asked the question this week in the bible study, Gospel Transformation, "Where do you pretend?" It was going through the idea of pretense and how we all, in some way, shape or form, put out a pretense to others for various reasons. If you think about it, it is a really loaded question. Where do I pretend? The truth is, I do pretend sometimes. I hope not all the time, nor even most of the time.... but I do have my moments when I do.

It has been so good for me to realize my own pretense as I think about pursuing Christ more authentically. A dear, close friend of mine in Jos wrote me an email a bit ago and I reread it today and it was what I needed to hear.

"Remember that your goal is the pursuit of Christ, not the pursuit of missions. Despite all the amazing things Paul did, he said “this one thing I do…” and that was to pursue Christ. If pursuing Christ means making a change, it will be sad and you will grieve the change, but be comforted that it does not mean you are not being faithful to God or are not serving/obeying him."

As this time of transition moves forward and as I keep my eyes focused on the Author and Perfecter of my faith, change might be what naturally happens, and it is okay. Where do I pretend? I pray it is never in my own walk before the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment